Tuesday, September 29, 2015

The Grading Blues

Just before the start of a new school year I have the same sort of conversation (most often with myself but occasionally involving a colleague or two) regarding grades, homework, tests and retakes, standards based grading, accuracy of homework vs. completion of homework,...  The list of topics that I continue to wrestle with goes on and on.

As I try to figure out how I want to modify my current grading practices, I find myself researching these topics online.  Reading about different viewpoints on how to implement standards based grading has provided me with some wonderful ideas for how to successfully make a switch, but it still makes me nervous.

Here are a few of the resources that I have looked into:
The Spirit of SBG by Frank Noschese - one of the first resources that I looked at that has really provided much food for thought in my journey to switch how I communicate information about student learning
Standards Based Grading: 5, 6, 8, 10 by Kelly O'Shea - another favorite blogger that gives great advice on implementing SBG, including student reactions to her methods
Implementation Challenges of Standards Based Grading by Jasmine Kullar - I think the name pretty much says it all...
Always Formative by Jason Buell - offers a lot of practical information on implementing standards based grading

As my struggle continues, I get closer and closer to making wholesale changes to my grading practices.  Now I just need to get over this fear of change...

2 comments:

  1. I totally get the grading blues! But I like how you are branching out and trying new and daunting things like standards based grading. It is frightening to think of changing something that you've been doing for a bit of time, especially something as ingrained in our practice as how we grade... Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are having this conversation in my department, about grades and assessments. I feel we are making progress as we share what each one does in the classroom. I took a class during the summer about standards based grading. I will share a link to a youtube video of Rick Wormeli talking about this topic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdbcrtQhfNQ

    ReplyDelete